Sunday, January 5, 2014

Wedding Planning Journey: Part 1- bargain tips

For those who don't know me, I am a bargain hunter, cheapskate, or thrift store junkie....I am also in the midst of planning a wedding for this May.  Planning a wedding on a budget takes a lot of effort, time, and patience.  When I got engaged last May I was determined to make this wedding be low cost.  My gracious mom is paying for the wedding, but I am not one that would feel comfortable having a $10k wedding...call me crazy.  So far, I have many of the major expenses figured out and taken care of.  Before I began thinking of venues, dress, food, etc. I made a list of what expenses I thought were necessary along with an estimated cost.  Luckily I am getting married in a smallish city so venues, caterers, photography, etc. is not as outrageous as it can be in larger cities. This is kind of what it looked like: 

Venue: Ceremony and reception $500-$1500
Photographer: $1000+
Food/Beverage: $1000
Dress/veil including alteration cost: $1000 (my personal goal was to spend close to $600...)
Cake: $200-$300
DJ: $500
Centerpieces/Tableware: $10 per table
Save the Dates/Invites including stamps for 100: $200
.
.
.
.
 You get the idea.  These were estimates...some were close, others were way off.  

We were very fortunate to find a venue where we could have the ceremony and reception in the same place, it is a gorgeous old hotel with a ballroom that has a fireplace and chandelier.  Included in the cost of the venue are 15+ round tables, a handful of rectangle tables, and 140+ chairs.  Tables and chairs included in the cost were a huge cost saver!   Our venue cost is $1,000.

I bought my dress after trying on TONS of dresses...and I am not a dress person.  We were up in the Seattle area.  Our first stop was a wedding dress consignment shop.  My first thoughts were "awesome, I can get a great deal!!".  Wrong, totally wrong.  The least expensive one that I tried on was just under $1,000....and it was used.  Next store please!  We then went to a boutique and tried on tons of dresses until I tried on THE ONE....Problem was, it was in ivory and it was $900...Yes, they could order a white one...but it was still $900!  Remember, my personal goal was $600.  The other issue was that my mom didn't give me a budget for my dress...which was very gracious of her.  We had two other bridal shops to go to, one was David's Bridal, and the other was a local store near my mom's.  I knew that dress was THE ONE but wanted to make sure.  We canceled the David's Bridal appointment because I didn't want to try on 50 more dresses for no reason.  Our experience at Hermosa Bridal in Snohomish, WA was a fabulous experience, I'd recommend them to anyone.  We were able to scour the rows of dresses to find ones we liked, they even had sale dresses :-D.  And then, there it was...on the sale rack....THE ONE.  In white. In my size (it was a sample so it was the only one left) For around $600.  I tried on a few others before THE ONE and then put it on....and it was still THE ONE.  We ended up getting a veil too, which is probably something I wouldn't have spent that much money on, but hey whatever (you CAN make veils). The dress AND veil (which was over $100) rang up to just over $700 after taxes.

That was a long enough dress story so I'll save you some reading.  I would recommend searching Craigslist, Facebook yard sale sites, thrift stores, and physical yard sales for anything you think would be awesome as a centerpiece.  We scored on Black Friday this year at Goodwill.  Goodwill took 50% off everything so we got a bajillion votive candle holders (and some brand new candles) for half off.  We probably got 80 vases/candle holders for $37.  We also hit up Michaels craft store for some pretty things to use for center pieces, dollar tree for glass marbles, and Joann Fabrics.  I sent my mom to meet someone to pick up teal satin table covers from someone on Craigslist, saving a lot of money.  I also made my flower girl basket and ring bearer pillow.  I bought a white basket used for $1 and glued a teal ribbon and a teal flower to it.  I bought some white satin material at Joann's for 75 cents, added teal ribbon and teal tulle and a flower and sewed it up.  I spent less than $5 on the two.  I couldn't bring myself to spend $20 on a tiny pillow or basket.

Save the Dates/Invites:   My amazing friend created a collage of our engagement pictures with our date on it and I simply printed them as prints for about 9 cents a piece.  Each save the date was just over 50cents including postage.  I sent out 110 save the dates.  For my invites, I scored 125 blank invites that you print on for $20 from a Facebook selling site.  I can customize it however I want.  


I will do more blog posts about my wedding planning adventure, and once May gets here, I will post pictures of all of my projects, including my super secret Bridesmaids Gifts.  Happy Planning!

No comments:

Post a Comment