Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Best Apple Pie Recipe


Pies are a staple at many holiday gatherings, and for good reason.  I am usually nominated to make the pies for the gatherings at my future in-laws, but I don't mind...making pies isn't as complicated as one may think.  I use the apple pie recipe out of the old Betty Crocker cookbook, and it is tried and true, even won a prize at the fair once.  I add my own personal touches, such as a funky design in the crust, sprinkling cinnamon or sugar on top, etc.  Here is the recipe I use:


Ingredients:
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teas cinnamon (I usually add more, up to 1 teas...)
1/2 teas nutmeg (I add more, up to 1 teas.)
1/8 teas salt
6-8 cups sliced and peeled apples (I use granny smith apples...6 medium granny smiths.  We have an old apple peeler/slicer that makes this task way easier...but make sure you slice your apples super thin)
2 tablespoons butter
Pie crusts for 8-9" pie (I use store bought because I personally have no patience to make homemade...I've tried numerous times :-)    )

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 425*.  Leave your pie crusts out to thaw out/soften while you prepare the filling.  In a large bowl combine all the ingredients except butter and stir until combined and the sugar is evenly distributed. 


 Lay one crust into the pie tin and pour the filling in.  "Dot" the top with butter (see picture).  Lay the second crust over the filling and flute the edges. Sprinkle the top with cinnamon and sugar, or one or the other.  Be sure to cut slits into the top so it can breathe.  Line your edges with 1/2" strips of foil OR this handy metal contraption I have for pie edges (I highly recommend getting one if you make a couple pies a year....they're amazing...). Bake the pie for 35 minutes, remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown and juice is bubbling up through the slits.  Total bake time of 50 minutes or so.
dot with butter
cut slits in crust
amazing pie shield





ENJOY!








No comments:

Post a Comment