Sunday, January 26, 2014

Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce





I LOVE alfredo sauce....it is probably my favorite sauce of all time.  Most alfredo sauce is full of fat and calories and therefore, kind of unhealthy.  I came across a recipe on this website: http://pinchofyum.com/creamy-cauliflower-sauce  for a healthy alternative.  This sauce is made with cauliflower....I really dislike cauliflower so I was skeptical, but thought I'd give it a whirl.  I personally don't think this tastes like cauliflower, so if you don't like cauliflower, don't worry!  Now, this doesn't taste EXACTLY like alfredo, but it is still really good.  It has a different texture, too.  

Instructions:
In a skillet, saute' 8 cloves of minced garlic with 2 tablespoons of butter.  Saute' it for 10 minutes or so, do not let it brown.  Remove from heat and set aside.  

In a large pot, bring to boil 6-8 cups of vegetable broth OR water, whatever you prefer. I used vegetable broth.  (well, 5 cups of broth and 2 cups of water because a carton of broth is only about 5 cups, FYI).

Once the broth is boiling, add 6 cups of cauliflower (I used frozen, I don't think it matters).  Cook until the cauliflower is tender. DO NOT DRAIN

With a slotted spoon, remove cauliflower and place in blender.  Add the garlic/butter mix, 1 cup of broth and 1 cup of milk.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Puree this mixture until smooth.  IF it gets to dry, add some olive oil.  (I had to do two batches because my blender isn't very big.  I placed the sauce back into the skillet that I used to saute the garlic with and added some italian seasoning, basil, and a little bit of parmesan cheese to give it a tad more flavor.  If you want, you can add 2 tablespoons of butter into the sauce until it melts to add flavor.

This sauce freezes/thaws well.

The recipe link above has recipes for dishes such as alfredo rice, alfredo pasta, and alfredo pizza.  




No comments:

Post a Comment