Thursday, September 26, 2013

The "In A Pinch" Casserole

The best "in a pinch" casserole you will ever taste....This is my little creation I whipped up when I was craving some real comfort food.  I was thinking of making a casserole of some sort, but I didn't want to go to the store, and the only one I had ever really made before was the wonderful tater tot casserole...but that required ground beef and tater tots- which I had neither.  Then I thought, 'hey, I have a can of tuna...tuna casserole??' and realized the only tuna casserole I knew of required egg noodles...which I did not have.  Rice...Rice was the answer.  So, I cooked the rice and while that magic was happening I got creative....Here is what I ended up putting in this very very delicious casserole:

Rice
Zucchini
Onion
Tomatoes
Green Beans
 (or substitute for any veggies of your choice...)
Tuna
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Cheddar Cheese
Parmesan Cheese


Instructions:

1. Brown rice:  cook enough for 3-4 servings.

2. While that is cooking either in the microwave or stove top, I lightly sauteed zucchini that was quartered with diced onions.  Probably 1-2 cups of zucchini and 1/4 of a large sweet onion.  Sprinkle on some garlic salt if you wish.

3. In a large casserole dish of some sort, combine: rice, zucchini and onion, 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1 can of tuna, 1 can of green beans, and 1 cup of tomatoes (I used cherry tomatoes cut in half...).  Stir well.

4.  Add cheddar cheese (either shredded or chunks...I used chunks.) and sprinkle Parmesan cheese lightly over all of it.

5.  Bake for 20ish minutes until cheese is melted at 350*.

I thought about adding chips to the top, but that was not in my cupboard sadly.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment