Thursday, May 17, 2012

Revamping the old radio cabinet--step 1

About a month or two ago, I was out at yard sales on a normal Saturday morning, except this particular Saturday I had to be at school by 9am--limiting my time!  At the last yard sale before class, I came across this really cool cabinet, appearing to be a radio cabinet from, I don't know, the 1950s or so.  It was apparent it needed work, so I asked how much they wanted.  They reply with $20....Whoa, way too much!  So I said, well maybe I will be back later.  During my lunch break from school, I went back to that yard sale, and sure enough no one came along and bought that cabinet for $20, so I asked what the lowest they would go on it, because it really needed a lot of work.  They said $10....I offered $5...they accepted.  I get it home after class, unload it into the storage room, and it sat for a week.  The next weekend, I started to sand it, however the cabinet was covered in veneer from, what I learned, was from the 1920s or 1930s.  So, out came the handy scraper.  Sanding the entire piece and ripping off all the veneer, then sanding again, took a few weekends to complete, and probably about 15-20 hours.  Here are some before/during pictures.  Sorry for the sideways pics, not sure how to flip them.... :-)



So, that is it for prep work :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment